This post is sponsored by The Quaker Oats Company, but all opinions are my own.
Have you tried savory oatmeal yet? If the idea sounds unfamiliar, you’re not alone. It seems that oats are often paired with sweet flavors and ingredients. But oats are versatile and a great option for savory recipes, too!
These savory oats are made with spinach, sauteed tomatoes, and a little feta for a warm and hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinnertime option! This recipe comes with a vegan option and it’s incredibly easy to make.
Gather these ingredients
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
Low sodium vegetable broth
Extra virgin olive oil
Feta or vegan feta crumbles
Fresh cracked black pepper
Which oats work best?
I’m using Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for this recipe. But honestly, by adjusting the cooking time, you can use instant, traditional, or steel-cut oats for this recipe (be sure to follow the package directions).
And I’m often asked… Is one type of oats better than another?
I think they are all good options. Quaker Instant, Quick, Old Fashioned, and Steel Cut – are 100% whole grain, and ounce per ounce, they provide similar amounts of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Where they differ is shape, texture, and cook time. So go with the ones that work best for your recipe, taste preference, and how much time you have to cook.
Oats are a whole grain and source of complex carbohydrates. And this recipe, with ½ cup of oats per serving, is a good source of fiber.
Tips for success
- Use a high-quality, flavorful broth. Since the flavor will impact the entire dish, be sure to choose a broth you love. You can make your own or buy your favorite from the store.
- Get some color on the tomatoes. Sautéing the tomatoes will bring out the natural sweetness as the skins start to caramelize in the pan. This adds lots of flavor to these savory oats. So, don’t skip that step.
- Don’t have spinach on hand? Feel free to use frozen – simply thaw and drain it first. You can also use baby kale or another green. Just keep in mind that hardier greens will not easily wilt into the oats. If you add other greens, you might need to steam or sauté them before adding to the oats.
This recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled to feed a family. If you want to make extra to enjoy as leftovers, that also works.
Simply reheat the mixed oats and save the feta to sprinkle on top.
The countdown to the big game is on, and fans are in for a great night with the big game – but at Quaker, they are getting ready for a good morning with the big grain. Quaker is inviting you to crack open a hot one and pregrain before the big game with a bowl of Quaker Oats! Check out the Quaker Pregrain Sweepstakes information below for more info on how to participate.
Quaker continues to help people benefit from the taste, versatility, and nutrition of whole grain oats. Needless to say, the brand has been around for all 56 Sunday big games and knows that “pregraining” is a great way to help start your morning.
Whether you are ready for this savory idea or you want to stick to sweet, or opt for a hot or cold dish option, oats are a blank canvas that I’m excited to help inspire you to create your own bowl of oats for game day and beyond.
“Pregrain” for the big game
- To celebrate this Sunday morning moment, Quaker has created limited-edition Quaker Oats 6-packs to help you fuel up on game day! Fans will have the chance to win their own Quaker 6-pack to enjoy with their pregrain squad before kick-off.
- To enter the Quaker Pregrain Sweepstakes, fans can head to Quaker’s Instagram page, @Quaker, from now until – February 6 and mention a friend they’d like to crack open a canister with on game day morning along with the hashtags #QuakerPregrain and #Sweepstakes. 100 lucky winners will be selected the week of February 7 and 6-packs will be shipped ahead of the big game.
- See official rules for complete details on how to enter. Sweepstakes closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on February 6, 2022, NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Must be 18 or older and a U.S. resident to enter the sweepstakes.
Ready to try savory oats? Here’s the recipe!
Spinach Tomato Feta Savory Oats
These savory oats are packed with spinach, sauteed tomatoes, and a little feta for a warm and hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This recipe comes with a vegan option and it’s incredibly easy to make.
- ½ cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp feta or vegan feta crumbles
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Bring the stock to a boil. Stir in the oats. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Sauté 4-5 minutes, just until the tomatoes are heated through and start to blister.
Stir the spinach into the cooked oats.
Spoon the oats into a bowl. Top with sauteed tomatoes, feta, and black pepper.
Serving: 450g | Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 3mg