Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Dentists have really useful fluoride toothpaste for stronger cavity-resistant tooth for many years.1 It’s nonetheless thought-about the “gold commonplace” in dental faculties, regardless of its security considerations.
However there’s a brand new ingredient on the town confirmed to be simply as efficient as fluoride and utterly non-toxic.
It’s referred to as hydroxyapatite. Hydroxyapatite toothpaste has changed fluoride toothpaste as what I like to recommend to all of my sufferers. However what’s hydroxyapatite toothpaste?
On this weblog put up, we’ll find out about hydroxyapatite and check out how fluoride compares with it.
How Does Fluoride Toothpaste Work?
Your tooth have an outer masking referred to as enamel that’s made up of calcium and phosphate. Your saliva additionally comprises calcium and phosphate that consistently bathe your tooth. These minerals preserve your tooth robust.
Micro organism present in cavities can break down meals particles and create an acidic atmosphere in your mouth. This acidic atmosphere is harsh and may strip away these helpful minerals from the surfaces of your tooth. This course of known as demineralization.
The fluoride in fluoridated toothpaste works by:
- Teaming up with the calcium and phosphate in your saliva and tooth to kind a compound referred to as fluorapatite. This compound appears like a crystal lattice (apatite crystal lattice).
- Protecting demineralized enamel with the extra acid-resistant fluorapatite. This remineralizes the tooth, restores their power, and protects it from additional harm by acid.
How Does Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste Work?
The remainder of your enamel is definitely composed of water, collagen, and different proteins.
Hydroxyapatite is absorbed by the tooth and fills the enamel fissures brought on by demineralization.
Essentially the most broadly studied sort of hydroxyapatite is nano-hydroxyapatite. Toothpaste that comprises nano-hydroxyapatite has particle sizes between 20-80 nanometers (nm). Due to its small measurement, it might probably insert into actually small areas, which results in higher advantages.
Not like fluoride, hydroxyapatite works by:
- Remineralizing enamel from inside, reaching the innermost a part of a dental cavity
- Binding to plaque and dangerous micro organism in our mouth
How does Hydroxyapatite Evaluate to Fluoride in Efficacy?
In the case of which toothpaste is extra environment friendly, there’s actually no distinction between hydroxyapatite and fluoride toothpastes.
One examine in contrast 10% hydroxyapatite with 500 ppm F− (amine fluoride), which dentists sometimes prescribe.2 The researchers found that the ten% hydroxyapatite labored simply in addition to 500ppm F− for remineralization and lesion depth (LD) discount.
The conclusion of the examine was that hydroxyapatite toothpaste is the same as fluoride toothpaste relating to efficacy.
Advantages of Hydroxyapatite over Fluoride Toothpastes
Each fluoride and hydroxyapatite can remineralize tooth construction, however right here’s why I want to advocate hydroxyapatite over fluoride:
- Oral microbiome pleasant: Though each have antibacterial properties, fluoride kills decay-causing micro organism and a few good micro organism. Alternatively, hydroxyapatite doesn’t kill the micro organism. It prevents dangerous micro organism from attaching to the enamel.3
- Fortifies enamel: Hydroxyapatite can enhance the microhardness of enamel.4 The coating of hydroxyapatite reinforces the tooth higher than the fluorapatite coating.
- Non-toxic: Hydroxyapatite is biomimetic.5 There aren’t any unwanted side effects with hydroxyapatite—in truth, it’s protected sufficient to swallow your entire tube of toothpaste! With fluoride, alternatively, there’s a poison management label on the tube, and overexposure causes dental and skeletal fluorosis.
- Child-friendly: At an early age, kids don’t have full management over swallowing and may ingest massive quantities of toothpaste.6 When this occurs, the fluoride in toothpaste can get absorbed into the bloodstream and trigger dental fluorosis (a change within the look of tooth enamel). Toothpaste that comprises hydroxyapatite reduces the danger of fluorosis.
- Whitens: Hydroxyapatite toothpaste has been proven to lighten the shade of the tooth with out the assistance of any further abrasives or whitening brokers.7
Is Fluorapatite Stronger than Hydroxyapatite?
Fluorapatite is much less soluble than hydroxyapatite. Because of this in acidic situations, fluorapatite is stronger and extra immune to demineralization.
Nonetheless, this doesn’t imply that fluorapatite toothpaste is healthier than hydroxyapatite toothpaste. The truth is, research present that hydroxyapatite toothpaste is simply nearly as good as fluorapatite toothpaste, with an additional benefit — it helps with dental hypersensitivity.8
Ought to I Swap to Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste?
To me, it is a no-brainer. In case you have a greater various to fluoride toothpaste and it’s non-toxic, why wouldn’t you?
To most dentists, it is a no-brainer as nicely—nevertheless, fluoride remains to be taught because the “gold commonplace” in dental faculties, and there are nonetheless some dentists on the market who is likely to be leery of hydroxyapatite. If that is your dentist, ship them the analysis!
I like to recommend everybody discuss to their dentist about switching to a hydroxyapatite toothpaste, particularly the next classes of individuals:
- Pregnant girls
- Individuals who reside in areas with fluoridated water provide
- Infants and kids, particularly if they’re under the age of six.
- Individuals with delicate tooth, as hydroxyapatite treats the basis reason for sensitivity.9
Which Toothpaste Manufacturers Include Hydroxyapatite?
There are two manufacturers of hydroxyapatite toothpaste manufacturers I like to recommend to readers as a result of I take advantage of them myself they usually even have an acceptable focus of hydroxyapatite to be efficacious. There are numerous hydroxyapatite toothpastes on the market, sadly, that don’t comprise sufficient of the ingredient to have an impact—if you happen to’re unsure, e mail the corporate and ask for the focus. It needs to be 15% or extra.
RiseWell Youngsters’ Mineral Toothpaste (birthday cake taste)
The largest benefit of utilizing toothpaste with hydroxyapatite is that it remineralizes your tooth with none unwanted side effects, in contrast to fluoride that’s poisonous in massive portions.
Hydroxyapatite is of course current inside our physique and constitutes most of our enamel.
Each fluoride and hydroxyapatite are scientifically confirmed to reverse dental decay—why not select the much less poisonous one?
1. Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Sheiham A, Logan S. Fluoride toothpastes for stopping dental caries in kids and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(1):CD002278. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002278
2. Amaechi BT, AbdulAzees PA, Alshareif DO, et al. Comparative efficacy of a hydroxyapatite and a fluoride toothpaste for prevention and remineralization of dental caries in kids. BDJ Open. 2019;5(1):18. doi:10.1038/s41405-019-0026-8
3. Meyer F, Enax J. Hydroxyapatite in Oral Biofilm Administration. Eur J Dent. 2019;13(2):287-290. doi:10.1055/s-0039-1695657
4. Pepla E, Besharat LK, Palaia G, Tenore G, Migliau G. Nano-hydroxyapatite and its purposes in preventive, restorative and regenerative dentistry: a evaluation of literature. Ann Stomatol (Roma). 2014;5(3):108-114.
5. Enax J, Epple M. Artificial Hydroxyapatite as a Biomimetic Oral Care Agent. Oral Well being Prev Dent. 2018;16(1):7-19. doi:10.3290/j.ohpd.a39690
6. Bossù M, Saccucci M, Salucci A, et al. Enamel remineralization and restore outcomes of Biomimetic Hydroxyapatite toothpaste on deciduous tooth: an efficient choice to fluoride toothpaste. J Nanobiotechnology. 2019;17(1):17. doi:10.1186/s12951-019-0454-6
7. Niwa M, Sato T, Li W, Aoki H, Aoki H, Daisaku T. Sprucing and whitening properties of toothpaste containing hydroxyapatite. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2001;12(3):277-281. doi:10.1023/a:1008927502523
8. Pajor Okay, Pajchel L, Kolmas J. Hydroxyapatite and Fluorapatite in Conservative Dentistry and Oral Implantology-A Evaluate. Supplies (Basel). 2019;12(17). doi:10.3390/ma12172683
9. Vano M, Derchi G, Barone A, Covani U. Effectiveness of nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste in lowering dentin hypersensitivity: a double-blind randomized managed trial. Quintessence Int. 2014;45(8):703-711. doi:10.3290/j.qi.a32240