Hi there to all my lemon lovers! Ya woman is again with one other EPIC cake recipe simply in time for Valentine’s Day, as a result of each vacation deserves cake. Final yr you all went loopy for this unbelievable inside out chocolate lined strawberry cake, so I purchased again the attractive berry theme to share with you and your sweetie pies.
This lovely lemon raspberry cake has contemporary raspberries, lemon juice and zest, plus a contact of almond taste that makes it style like your favourite nostalgic lemon poppy seed muffin. To make it further particular and much more lovely for any event, I added a beautiful lemon raspberry buttercream frosting.
I stored the cake gluten free to share with your entire GF buddies and family members, and it’s simply made dairy free as effectively. The cake layers are completely moist due to siggi’s yogurt and I LOVE the additional berry taste that the raspberry plant-based cup provides! Bake this magnificence up, share together with your love and have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.
Fall in LOVE with this lemon raspberry cake
Moreover being the right Valentine’s Day dessert, there’s much more to like about this completely moist, scrumptious lemon poppy seed cake. Its:
- Gluten free: due to almond flour and oat flour (which you can also make at residence!)
- Naturally sweetened: with some honey.
- Deliciously moist: from baking siggi’s yogurt proper inside! Siggi’s yogurt additionally has extra protein than sugar per cup so you may actually be ok with incorporating it into recipes (and having fun with it as-is). The cake will get its texture and excellent fats for the crumb due to almond flour and siggi’s – whoo hoo!
- Simply dairy free: by utilizing siggi’s plant-based cups and your fav vegan buttery stick (within the frosting). I’m presently dairy free whereas I’m breastfeeding Viggo, so I examined it this fashion and it was fabulous!
Substances on this gluten free lemon raspberry cake
As I discussed, this lovely raspberry lemon cake isn’t solely gluten free, nevertheless it’s additionally simply dairy free, naturally sweetened, and bursting with taste. Right here’s what you’ll must make it:
- Eggs: you’ll want 4 eggs on this cake recipe to present it the precise texture.
- Sweetener: we’re naturally sweetening this raspberry almond cake with honey.
- Yogurt: I completely love baking with siggi’s yogurt as a result of it’s made with tremendous easy elements and provides the right quantity of moisture and taste with out including a ton of sugar. As I discussed, I used the raspberry or combined berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt as a result of I’m presently dairy free, however you too can use their common raspberry or combined berry cups.
- Lemon: that pretty lemon taste comes from each contemporary lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Flour: we’re utilizing a mixture of effective blanched almond flour and oat flour as the bottom of this recipe to maintain it gluten free. The almond flour provides a stupendous almond taste to the cake together with an incredible texture!
- Baking staples: you’ll additionally want baking soda, salt, and almond extract to actually deliver out that almond taste.
- For the lemon raspberry frosting: you’ll want butter (or a vegan buttery stick like Miyokos), powdered sugar, extra lemon juice & zest, contemporary raspberries, and just a little milk of alternative.
- For the filling & garnish: don’t neglect contemporary raspberries for between the layers and on prime of the cake!
Extra raspberry choices
This raspberry lemon cake is significantly excellent as-is, however there are a few other ways you should utilize contemporary raspberries or raspberry jam that can nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Be happy to bake contemporary raspberries immediately into the cake layers. Merely toss 1 heaping cup of contemporary raspberries in a tablespoon or two of oat flour earlier than including them to the batter in order that the raspberry juice doesn’t unfold.
- As an alternative of utilizing contemporary raspberries you should utilize ¼ cup raspberry jam between every layer on prime of the frosting (so ½ cup complete). Simply don’t unfold the highest of the cake with the jam!
Can I make it vegan?
I haven’t tried making this wholesome lemon poppy seed cake vegan, however if you wish to strive you should utilize 4 flax eggs (¼ cup flaxseed meal + ¾ cup water) and permit it to sit down for 10 minutes till a gel-like consistency kinds. Learn to make a flax egg with this tutorial, and let me know within the feedback the way it works out!
Be happy to sub maple syrup for the honey within the cake to make it actually vegan, too!
A word on flour substitutions
Please word that I can not advocate an alternative choice to the almond or oat flour because the ratios are what give this cake the right texture. See under for the right way to make your individual oat flour for ease!
Make your individual oat flour at residence
You may simply make do-it-yourself oat flour to make use of on this lemon raspberry cake recipe. Try my tutorial on the right way to make do-it-yourself oat flour proper at residence. Really easy!
Ideas for adorning this raspberry lemon cake
For those who’ve by no means adorned a three-layer cake earlier than, don’t fear! It’s straightforward and can prove fantastically with just a few suggestions:
- For the layers: lower the raspberries in half lengthwise so as to add them between the cake layers and thoroughly smoosh them into the layers. This may be sure that there isn’t an excessive amount of area between the layers.
- For the frosting: be sure you solely frost your cake as soon as the layers are fully cooled, in any other case the frosting will soften. Do a crumb coat first by frosting the layers as you usually would after which coat the skin of the cake with a really skinny layer of frosting then place within the fridge for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than you end frosting. That is in order that the crumbs persist with this layer of frosting and never your essential layer.
- For the highest: garnish the complete prime of the cake with raspberries by inserting entire raspberries the wrong way up onto the cake. See the photographs for reference! I like to recommend doing this simply earlier than serving the cake in order that the berries keep contemporary and juicy!
Easy methods to make the lemon raspberry buttercream frosting
Not solely is that this straightforward lemon raspberry buttercream frosting attractive, nevertheless it’s additionally SO scrumptious and bursting with taste. Right here’s the right way to make it:
- Mix the raspberries. You’ll wish to begin by mixing ½ cup of raspberries till easy. Pour that combination right into a bowl by a sieve to pressure the seeds out, and use the again of a spoon to get the entire juice out.
- Whip the butter. Add softened butter (or vegan butter) to a bowl of an electrical mixer and whip it on excessive till it’s gentle and fluffy.
- Combine the frosting. Add powdered sugar, lemon juice & zest, and the raspberry puree to the electrical mixer and beat on excessive once more for a pair extra minutes till effectively mixed. You could want so as to add a tablespoon or so of milk to skinny the frosting and make it creamier, however this simply will depend on the way you prefer it.
P.S. you can also make the frosting as much as every week forward of time! Merely retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge till you’re prepared to make use of it. Let the frosting come to room temp earlier than spreading it in your cake.
If you wish to make an everyday lemon buttercream: merely omit the raspberry puree, add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice (so 2 tablespoons complete) and 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
Easy methods to retailer & freeze this lemon poppy seed cake
To avoid wasting time you may completely make this lemon raspberry cake 1-2 days forward of time! Be happy to make the cake layers forward and retailer them within the fridge, or make the entire frosted cake and retailer it.
- To retailer: I like to recommend storing the cake effectively lined within the fridge for as much as 5-7 days.
- To freeze: be at liberty to freeze this lemon raspberry cake both frosted or unfrosted for as much as 2 months. I like to recommend freezing it unfrosted in particular person layers for one of the best outcomes. First, wrap every particular person layer in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil after which place the desserts in a zip-top freezer bag. If you’re able to serve it, merely thaw it within the fridge in a single day after which let the cake come to room temperature earlier than frosting and serving.
Our fav cake baking instruments
Get all of our go-to kitchen necessities right here!
Extra wonderful cake recipes
Get all of my cake recipes right here!
I hope you like this excellent lemon raspberry cake recipe! For those who make it make sure to depart a remark and a score so I understand how you preferred it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Almond Lemon Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake
Whole Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Attractive lemon raspberry cake made with contemporary lemon juice and zest, raspberries, poppy seeds and a luscious lemon raspberry frosting. This lemon poppy seed cake is made gluten free due to almond flour and oat flour, and is definitely made dairy free with siggi’s raspberry plant-based yogurt and vegan butter!
- Moist elements:
eggs, at room temperature
(5.3 ounce) container of raspberry or combined berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt*
- Zest from 2 massive lemons
contemporary squeezed lemon juice
- Dry elements:
packed blanched effective almond flour
oat flour** (don’t pack!)
- For the lemon raspberry frosting:
(12 ounces) butter or vegan buttery stick (corresponding to Miyokos), at room temperature
contemporary lemon juice
raspberries (to make 1-2 tablespoons raspberry puree)
- Non-obligatory: 1 tablespoon milk, if vital
- For the filling:
contemporary raspberries, lower in half lengthwise
- For the garnish:
contemporary raspberries (don’t lower!)
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F.
Line the underside of three 6-inch spherical cake pans or two 8-inch spherical cake pans with parchment paper rounds. Spray parchment paper and sides of the pans with nonstick cooking spray. YOU SHOULD USE PARCHMENT PAPER or the cake is more likely to stick. Please don’t forget.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, honey, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. The combination needs to be easy and effectively mixed.
In a separate bowl, whisk the almond flour, oat flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt. Add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend effectively with a rubber spatula till easy.
Divide batter evenly between pans and unfold out with a spatula to easy the tops. Bake for 18-28 minutes within the two 8-inch pans or 25-35 minutes for 3 6-inch pans. Muffins are achieved when a tester comes out clear or with just some crumbs connected. Permit the cake to chill fully earlier than frosting or eradicating from the pans. The cake needs to be room temperature once you frost it. This is essential. Muffins might be made a day forward should you’d like.
Make your frosting: Add ½ cup raspberries to a blender and mix till easy. Pour combination by a sieve over a small bowl and use the again of a spoon to get the entire juice out so that you solely have the seeds remaining. Set the raspberry juice puree apart. Within the bowl of an electrical mixer, add the softened butter or vegan butter and whip on excessive till gentle and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and a couple of tablespoons of the raspberry puree; beat on excessive for 1-2 minutes extra till effectively mixed. Style and add extra powdered sugar to your liking, if vital. You could must scrape the frosting down the perimeters of the bowl after which beat once more. Non-obligatory: You could want so as to add in just a little little bit of milk (about 1 tablespoon) to skinny the frosting out so it’s just a little extra creamy, nevertheless it will depend on the way you prefer it! I really like a thick frosting.
Now it’s time to frost the cake: place about 1 tablespoons down onto the cake stand and unfold out. Invert a cake onto the cake stand, add about 1/2 heaping cup frosting between every layer. Reduce the raspberries reserved for the filling in half lengthwise, and place them over the filling between every layer, overlaying the complete floor. You wish to kind of smoosh them into the frosting as finest you may. It’s okay in the event that they break a bit, however it will be important that they’re effectively nestled into the frosting in order that there aren’t massive gaps between the cake layers. Repeat with every cake, then frost the highest and sides of the cake with the remaining lemon frosting. If the cake is barely ‘bare’ on the skin, that’s okay, it’s going to be scrumptious!
Garnish with contemporary raspberries simply earlier than serving the cake to verify they keep as contemporary as attainable!
Cake will keep good at room temp for a day or so, then needs to be positioned within the fridge. Cake will keep good for 5-7 days within the fridge, and needs to be well-covered to make sure freshness.
If you wish to make an everyday lemon buttercream, merely omit the raspberry puree, add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of milk of option to the frosting.
*You may as well use common siggi’s raspberry or combined berry cups.
To do a crumb layer: Frost the layers as you usually would after which coat the skin of the cake with a really skinny layer of the frosting. Then, place the cake within the fridge for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than you end frosting. That is in order that the crumbs persist with this layer of frosting and never your essential layer.
**Be happy to make your individual oat flour at residence utilizing this tutorial.
As an alternative of utilizing contemporary raspberries, you should utilize about ¼ cup raspberry jam between every layer, so that you’d want ½ cup complete. See extra concepts within the weblog publish!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by The Aware Hapa
This publish is sponsored by siggi’s. All textual content and opinions are my very own. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make AK attainable!